With the growth in popularity of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including arbitration, counsel are expected to know the litigation consequences of the ADR/arbitration clauses that they draft. Without knowledge of the ramifications of how an ADR/arbitration clause is drafted, counsel may unwittingly agree to clauses that are ill-served to meet their clients' needs, more costly and onerous than traditional litigation, and sometimes simply unworkable. This book provides, to counsel drafting a commercial agreement, all the tools and information necessary to design and draft an effective ADR/arbitration clause that accomplishes the intentions and desires of the parties who have chosen ADR/arbitration to resolve their disputes. It canvasses the various forms of ADR, including ones on the cutting edge, such as "collaboration" and "cybersettle.com." It considers some of the pitfalls and dangers in poorly drafted clauses, which only become apparent when the ADR/arbitration process is underway. Issues specific to ADR/arbitration clauses in commercial agreements that are addressed include:
- Rent renewals
- Hareholder agreements
- Options to purchase land
- Agreements involving parties outside Canada
This book also features appendices containing numerous precedent arbitration, mediation and different types of ADR clauses, as well as summaries of the procedural rules of the major arbitration institutions and legislation governing arbitrations in place across Canada.
Get FREE eBook access with your looseleaf subscription(s)
This title has become a part of Thomson Reuters ProView™, which means you'll have eBook access to all the content as part of your looseleaf print subscription.
About Thomson Reuters ProView™
Not just any eReader, Thomson Reuters ProView is a free, professional-grade platform that gives you the freedom to work however, whenever, and wherever you want, with access to your Thomson Reuters eBooks online and offline.
With our ProView eBooks, you can:
- Access your eBook content through your choice of iPad, Android tablet, desktop app (Windows and Mac), or web login*
- Provide eBook access for an unlimited number of users at the same location, with your looseleaf subscription(s)
- Enjoy automatically integrated product updates, with your looseleaf subscription(s)
- Access your entire ProView library with one username and password
- Create a PDF that you can save, print, add your notes, and share
- Link out to full-text cases in WestlawNext® Canada or in Taxnet Pro® (available with subscriptions to WestlawNext Canada or Taxnet Pro)
- Register up to four different devices to your ProView account to access your library
- Sync all your notes, highlights and bookmarks, across all devices you registered with your ProView account
- Automatically transfer all of your notes, highlights and bookmarks, to updated editions and contents
For the entire range of titles offered as Thomson Reuters ProView eBooks, or for more information on Thomson Reuters ProView:
*Certain features and functionalities may not be available to ProView users accessing looseleaf eBooks in an IP authentication environment.
iPad and Mac are trademarks of Apple Inc. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corp.