Get practical answers to the ethical questions faced by lawyers
Lawyers & Ethics: Professional Responsibility and Discipline is a practical, contemporary text dealing with the issues of professional responsibility regularly confronting lawyers in Canada in every area of practice. It is a valuable reference source for the practising lawyer and the student and relates the rules of professional conduct to daily practice. Specific types of ethical problems arising in the major areas of practice are identified, and insightful, practical solutions presented. Areas of practice discussed are criminal, civil litigation, estates, real estate, corporate and in-house counsel. A substantial portion of the work is devoted to discipline proceedings.
This significant reference includes:
- Comprehensive, practical coverage and leading case law on issues that arise in court (confidentiality, advocacy, conflicts of interest in litigation, prosecuting, criminal defence, civility) and out of court (counseling, negotiation, mediation, conflicts of interest)
- Expert commentary and important case law on access to justice (advertising, solicitation, contingency fees, the media), and the regulation of the profession (admission to the bar, regulating competence and quality of service, Rules of Professional Conduct, discipline proceedings and the independence of the bar).
- The CBA Code of Professional Conduct, FLSC Model Code of Professional Conduct, the CBA Conflicts of Interest Toolkit, and more
- Legal Memoranda on ethical issues in practice
- Index of Selected Legal Literature in the ethics and professional regulation context
- Words & Phrases section for judicial considerations and definitions of key terms