Insightful and dependable interpretation of the latest developments in the Federal Courts
Written by a well-respected team of authors, Federal Courts Practice
is a comprehensive guide to the laws that govern the Federal Courts, with insightful expert commentary and case digests.
This publication includes:
New and updated in this edition
Federal Courts Practice 2017
- Introductory overview containing a comprehensive, insightful analysis of recent decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada and the Federal Courts on jurisdiction, judicial review, intellectual property, maritime law issues, and conflict of interest
- Full text reproduction in both official languages of the current versions of the Federal Courts Act, Federal Courts Rules and Forms, the Federal Courts Immigration and Refugee Protection Rules, and the public interest immunity provisions of the Canada Evidence Act
- Section-by-section and rule-by-rule analysis and commentary by the authors – a judge of the Federal Court and two senior practitioners – on the latest key decisions
- Bilingual forms and tariffs of fees under the Federal Courts Rules
- Option to access the full text of the publication as Thomson Reuters ProView™ eBook*
- Option to receive Practice Advisor, an exclusive quarterly email service keeping you current on all significant statutory and regulatory changes, at no extra cost upon request, for standing order subscribers
continues the tradition of providing advice on a complete range of judicial review, trial and appellate proceedings.
Updated Practice and Procedural Guidance from the Authors
- Part 1 Jurisdiction of Federal Court – An Overview has been updated to include new items such as the new Notices to the Parties and the Profession and the new Practice Guidelines for Aboriginal Law Proceedings.
- Procedural Charts have been amended.
- The lists of judges have been updated to account for recent changes.
Updated Commentary and Case Law
- Federal Courts Act, R.S.C., 1985, c. F-7, amended by S.C. 2015, c. 36, s. 124
- Canada Evidence Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-5, amended by S.C. 2015, c. 13, ss. 52, 53, 57(2); S.C. 2015, c. 20, s. 13, 2015, S.C. 23, s. 20; S.C. 2015, c. 36, s. 43
Case law and commentary to the Federal Court Act
, Federal Court Rules, Federal Courts Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Protection Rules and the Canada Evidence Act
have been updated.
Case law related to the Federal Courts Act
Case law related to the Federal Court Rules
- s. 18.1 - Daniels v. Canada (Indian Affairs and Northern Development) (2016 S.C.C.); Mouvement laïque québécois v. Saguenay (City) (2015 S.C.C.); Ontario (Energy Board) v. Ontario Power Generation Inc. (2015 S.C.C.); Canadian Broadcasting Corp. v. SODRAC 2003 Inc. (2015 S.C.C.)
- s. 27 - Heritage Capital Corp. v. Equitable Trust Co. (2016 S.C.C.); Guindon v. Minister of National Revenue (2015 S.C.C.)
- Rule 19- Fabrikant v. Canada (Attorney General) (2014 F.C.A.; leave to appeal refused)
- Rule 109 - Sport Maska Inc. v. Bauer Hockey Corp. (2016 F.C.A.)
- Rule 223 - Canada (National Revenue) v. Thompson (2016 S.C.C.)
- Rule 302- Zaghbib v. Canada (Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness) (2016 F.C.A.)
- Rule 317- Commission scolaire de Laval v. Syndicat de l'enseignement de la région de Laval (2016 S.C.C.)
- Rule 351 - World Bank Group v. Wallace (2016 S.C.C.)
- Rule 392 - Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce v. Green (2016 S.C.C.)
Experience the freedom and flexibility to work wherever and whenever you want, with or without an Internet connection. You can choose to access the Thomson Reuters ProView™ eBook* version of this publication through your web browser, or to download it to your desktop or laptop (Windows and Mac), iPad, or Android tablet.
Discover the complete collection of ProView eBooks at www.carswell.com/proview
Find all upcoming and available training sessions at cpdcentre.ca
Thomson Reuters ProView™ eBooks are not available to trade bookstores, third-party distributors and academic institutions.
Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corp. Mac and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.