A great safety tool for supervisors, workers and safety leaders
This handy in-the-field reference contains the full text of the most important workplace health and safety legislation in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland & Labrador, plus 6 interpretive chapters. It is a great safety tool for supervisors, workers, managers and safety leaders. It helps with worker training and increases worker and supervisor awareness of their responsibilities under workplace safety law.
This edition is current to May 2016 and contains updated legislative text, plus updated interpretive text in summary sections for each Atlantic jurisdiction, including discussion of the transition to WHMIS 2015 to bring the provinces into accordance with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS).
As noted in the summaries for Nova Scotia and Newfoundland & Labrador, new federal-provincial rules are in force that are aimed at boosting workplace safety in Atlantic Canada's offshore oil and gas industry.
Other select highlights in this edition include:
Prince Edward Island
- the latest amendments to the Workplace Health and Safety Regulations (WHSR), including Part 31, Administrative Penalties
- next steps for the OHS Division as it continues with "Phase II" changes to the WHSR
- discussion of how the OHS Division and the WCB collaborate, including the 2013 - 2017 Workplace Safety Strategy and the "Safe at Sea Alliance"
- the latest legislative amendments, such as establishment of a two-year time period for an OHS officer to lay charges for OHS compliance violations, plus other amendments to regulations on asbestos, electricity, excavations, trenches and construction
- update on recent enforcement efforts including workplace inspections and investigations, plus a zero tolerance campaign to prevent fall protection violations
- update on the enforcement activities of the OHS Branch of Service Newfoundland, including the workplace illness and injury prevention plan for 2015-2017
- noting WorkplaceNL as the new name for the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission (WHSCC) of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- update on how WorkSafeNB continues to emphasize workplace inspections, in select or high-risk industries
- discussion of how inspection efforts are also aimed at ensuring employer compliance with new requirements for an OHS Policy and/or OHS Program, as well as other new requirements related to orientation and training of new employees, workplace incident reporting, first aid, and health and safety committees
This book is available as an eBook for web browser or download to your desktop, laptop, iPad or Android tablet. Learn more