Register for a free trial of Practical Law Canada
Practical Law Canada – Finance
is an essential online resource for finance specialists, corporate lawyers and in-house counsel. With time-saving resources and practical how to guidance from industry experts, this service gives you the know-how you need to answer just about any question your client may have regarding commercial and corporate finance lending transactions. Why start at square one when you can start with Practical Law Canada?
Tangible benefits of Practical Law Canada – Finance
- Enhanced productivity – extensive guides and tools created and maintained by our lawyer-editors enable you to address your clients' legal issues faster.
- Greater efficiency – enhances your expertise, helping you provide strategic counsel as well as quality work product that conforms to your clients' expectations and budgets.
- Improved client service – resources provide terms lenders and borrowers can accept as standard practice thereby allowing lawyers to focus on highest value adds – client service, negotiation and practical, business oriented solutions.
- Decreased costs – provides lawyers with practical, transactional know-how, on demand, without the cost or time to develop or maintain it.
Our finance service covers key aspects of this practice area, including:
Practical Law Canada – Finance
- Corporate and Commercial Lending: This collection includes overviews, guidance and core documents essential to conducting due diligence, identifying key legal and business issues, and closing transactions relating to secured syndicated and non-syndicated loan facilities, asset-based lending, acquisition financings, distressed investing, equipment leasing, and assignments and participations of loans.
- Commercial Real Estate Financing: This collection includes overviews, guidance and core documents essential to commercial real estate loan transactions or corporate loan facilities secured in whole or in part by real estate assets. These include real estate financings secured by a charge/mortgage of land; financings secured by real estate assets owned by a joint venture; and corporate loan facilities secured in part by real estate assets.
- Taking Security in Collateral: This collection addresses guarantees; creating, perfecting and priority of security interests; analyzing corporate searches for a transaction; taking different types of security under various statutes; taking security in different types of collateral (including intellectual property, investment property, cash collateral, and more); taking security in different entity vehicle borrowers; purchase money security interests; intercreditor; issues in enforcement and realization.
's dedicated team of lawyer-editors is at the heart of the service, bringing extensive practice experience from leading law firms. These lawyer-editors create cross-check and continuously update Practical Law Canada resources to keep you up to date with the latest legal, regulatory and practice developments. Resources include:
- Practice Overviews and Practice Notes that provide straightforward how-to guides and clear explanations of current law and practice, ranging from basic overviews to detailed analysis for specialists.
- Standard Documents and Standard Clauses that are up-to-date precedents with detailed drafting notes, negotiating guidance, opposing positions and alternative clauses that can be downloaded and saved in Word for easy editing and customization.
- Checklists, time lines and flow charts that serve as quick reference reminders and provide a 360 degree view to help make sure you have covered all the bases.
- Toolkits that provide a compilation of resources that focus on specific issues
- Glossaries that decode jargon and dovetails with practice area documents, checklists and practice notes.
- Updates which feature trend pieces / hot topic discussions.
- Provincial Q and A's that provide high level overviews of particular legal topics in specific jurisdictions. The comparison tool enables users to compare requirements on a variety of key topics across multiple jurisdictions.
- Country Q and A's which provide global insight and guidance, Q&A Comparison Tools and International Transaction Guides which provide jurisdiction specific answers to frequently asked questions about doing a variety of transactions- all written by leading lawyers in international firms.
Practical Law Canada resources and tools are extremely easy to navigate an, with cross-references and links to related content. Case law references seamlessly link out to the full text of the case and are powered by WestlawNext Canada.