Founding author: Henry S. Brown, Q.C.
This complete and portable work is the essential guide for practice before the Supreme Court of Canada. In this newly released edition, Supreme Court of Canada Practice 2018 brings you up to date on changes to the rules and practice before the court, describes these changes in depth and provides comprehensive background and context behind them.
Practice Advisor: Bonus Offer to Standing Order Subscribers
Practice Advisor is derived from the decisions published in Carswell Practice Cases. It is designed to keep you current and up to date on all significant topics, decisions, and changes that pertain to civil litigation in Canada including: a cumulative report of all changes that have occurred since the book was published, and a separate currency report of changes since the last Practice Advisor issued. Delivered in quarterly electronic supplements, this resource is exclusively available, free of charge, to standing order subscribers, upon request.
New in this edition
- All of the supplementary legislation has been updated up to Canada Gazette Vol. 152:1 (January 10, 2018).
- The Introduction has been updated.
- Procedural Charts have been updated to reflect changes to the rules.
- The Guidelines for Preparing Documents to be Filed with the Supreme Court of Canada (Print and Electronic) have also been revised and are included in this edition.
- Annotations have been updated to reflect all recent developments. Cases added to the Annotations include:
- Toronto Star Newspapers Ltd., et al. v. Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, et al. (Doc. 33085 & 32865) (Supreme Court Rules, rule 3); Gillian Frank, et al. v. Attorney General of Canada (Doc. 36645) (Supreme Court Rules, rule 7);
- Ville de Montréal, et al. v. Davide Lonardi, et al. (Doc. 37184) (Supreme Court Rules, rule 20);
- Office of the Children's Lawyer v. John Paul Balev, et al. (Doc. 37250) (Supreme Court Rules, rule 22);
- Young v. Noble, 2017 NLCA 48 (Supreme Court Act, section 37);
- R. v. Antic, 2017 SCC 27 (Supreme Court Act, section 40);
- Sankar v. Bell Mobility Inc., 2017 ONCA 295 (Supreme Court Act, section 43);
- Office of the Children’s Lawyer v. John Paul Balev, et al., Docket 37250 (Supreme Court Act, section 44);
- Bilodeau-Massé v. Canada (Attorney General), 2017 FC 604 [English translation] (Supreme Court Act, section 45);
- Saadati v. Moorhead, 2017 SCC 28 (Supreme Court Act, section 46.1); Alberta Energy Regulator v. Grant Thornton Limited, 2017 ABCA 278 (Supreme Court Act, section 65.1);
- Cora Franchise Group Inc. v. Watters, 2017 ONCA 535 (Supreme Court Act, section 65.1); and
- R. v. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 2016 ABCA 372 (Supreme Court Act, section 65.1)
- The Notices to the Profession section has been updated with the addition of new notices. The notices have also been re-organized in accordance with the Supreme Court of Canada website.