The essential guide to all Highway Traffic Act cases, legislation and regulation in Ontario
This new edition contains updates to the Highway Traffic Act, related legislation, and all major regulatory activity. In addition, it covers key Highway Traffic Act cases.
New in this edition
Updated Case Law
- R. v. Albert. Proof of insurance, at least in New Brunswick, means carrying the requisite document, not an electronic screen-shot on a cell phone.
- R. v. Rowe. Driving while prohibited under the Criminal Code and without a licence under provincial law do not violate the rule against multiple convictions.
- Sault Ste. Marie (City) v. Powley. A certificate granting an exemption from wearing a seatbelt need not be limited in duration or include the expiry date.
- R. v. Kee. It is incorrect that the CEE III radar device can only monitor traffic in one direction. It is unnecessary that the patrol vehicle be stationary or in the immediate, adjacent lane.
- Vlanich v. Typhair. A municipality is not liable in negligence for losses suffered as a result of a collision with a taxi that was inadequately insured in violation of the municipality’s taxi licensing by-law.
Since the last edition, the Highway Traffic Act and other statutes have been amended by the following:
- Budget Reductions Act, S.O. 2017 Sched. 17 ss. 1-5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11-16
- Jobs for Today and Tomorrow Act (Budget Measures), 2016, S.O. 2016, c. 5, Sched. 12, ss. 1, 2, 4-10
- Smoke-Free Ontario Amendment Act, 2016, S.O. 2016, c. 13 (not in force)
The following are new regulations introduced with this edition:
- O. Reg. 227/16, Pilot Project – HOT Lanes Regulation.
- O. Reg. 398/16, Road-Building Machines
Important amendments to existing regulations include the following:
- Administrative Penalties, O. Reg. 273/07 - Amended by O. Regs. 192/16 and 266/16
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspections, O. Reg. 199/07 – Amended by O. Regs. 256/15 and 404/16
- Conduct Review Programs, O. Reg. O. Reg. 287/08 – Amended by O. Reg. 193/16
- Definitions of Commercial Motor Vehicle and Tow Truck, O. Reg. 419/15 – Amended by O. Reg. 399/16
- Designation of Bus By-Pass Shoulders on King’s Highway, O. Reg. 419/15 – Amended by O. Reg. 323/16
- Drivers' Licences, O. Reg. 340/94 – Amended by O. Regs. 191/16 and 265/16
- Equipment, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 587 – Amended by O. Reg. 405/16
- High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes, O. Reg. 620/05 – Amended by O. Reg. 188/16
- Hours of Service, O. Reg. 555/06 – Amended by O. Reg. 401/16
- Licences for Driving Instructors and Driving Schools, O. Reg. 473/07 – Amended by O. Reg. 270/16
- Red Light Camera System Evidence, O. Reg. 277/99 – Amended by O. Regs. 269/16 and 353/16
- Restricted Use of Left Lanes by Commercial Motor Vehicles, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 608 – Amended by O. Reg. 201/16
- Safety Inspections, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 611 – Amended by O. Reg. 403/16
- Special Permits, O. Reg. 381/98 – Amended by O. Reg. 268/16
- Vehicle Permits, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628 – Amended by O. Regs. 267/16, 400/16, and 83/17
- Vehicle Weights and Dimensions – For Safe, Productive and Infrastructure-Friendly Vehicles, O. Reg. 413/05 – Amended by O. Reg. 402/16
Thomson Reuters ProView®
The eBook version of this publication is available through your web browser, or can be downloaded to your computer (Windows or Mac), iPad, or Android tablet.
Visit carswell.com/proview to learn more and to see the complete collection of ProView eBooks.