Insightful and dependable interpretation of the latest developments in the Federal Courts
Written by a well-respected team of authors, Federal Courts Practice is a comprehensive guide to the laws that govern the Federal Courts, with insightful expert commentary and case digests. This publication includes:
- Introductory overview containing a comprehensive, insightful analysis of recent decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada and the Federal Courts on jurisdiction, judicial review, intellectual property, maritime law issues, and conflict of interest
- Full text reproduction in both official languages of the current versions of the Federal Courts Act, Federal Courts Rules and Forms, the Federal Courts Immigration and Refugee Protection Rules, and the public interest immunity provisions of the Canada Evidence Act
- Section-by-section and rule-by-rule analysis and commentary by the authors, a judge of the Federal Court and two senior practitioners, on the latest key decisions
- Bilingual forms and tariffs of fees under the Federal Courts Rules
- Option to access the full text of the publication as a ProView eBook
- Option to receive Practice Advisor, an exclusive quarterly email service keeping you current on all significant statutory and regulatory changes, at no extra cost upon request, for standing order subscribers
New in this edition
- The Federal Courts Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. F-7 has been updated to S.C. 2018, c. 12. ss. 304-307.
- The Canada Evidence Act, R.S.C. 1985, c.C-5 has been updated to S.C. 2017, c. 22, s. 2.
- Legislation has been generally updated to Canada Gazette vol. 152:16 (August 8, 2018).
- Many new references to recent academic and professional commentary on Federal Courts jurisprudence, practice, and jurisdiction have been added.
- The list of Judges and Prothonotaries has been updated.
- Author commentary has been added and updated to discuss developments in case law, legislative amendments, and changes to court processes and procedures outlined in Notices to the Profession.
- New and updated cases annotations have been added.
- Part 1 - The Jurisdiction of the Federal Courts: An Overview has been updated by the authors.
Case law updates:
- Over 170 new decisions from the Supreme Court of Canada, Federal Court of Appeal and Federal Court have been added.
- Examination of Ewert v. Canada, 2018 SCC 30, in which the availability of the remedy of declaration was discussed.
- Review of Delta Air Lines v. Lukacs, 2018 SCC 2, where the parameters of a court's power on judicial review to supplement a tribunal's reasons was clarified.
- Analysis of Alberta v. Canada, 2018 FCA 83, in which the jurisdiction granted by section 19 of the Federal Courts Act over intergovernmental disputes was examined in light of Windsor (City), 2016 SCC 54.
- New discussion of the procedure for dealing with vexatious litigants under section 40 of the Federal Courts Act.
- Examination of Iggillis Holdings Inc. v. Canada (National Revenue), 2018 FCA 51, in which the law relating to common interest privilege was clarified.
ProView eBook version is available through your web browser, or can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or smartphone. See all available titles store.thomsonreuters.ca/ebook