Get expert insight on the rules of civil procedure in British Columbia with British Columbia Annual Practice 2020.
Relied on by a generation of lawyers and judges, British Columbia Annual Practice provides comprehensive, accurate, and highly credible expert insight on the Supreme Court Civil Rules.
Main Volume – Print
All needed practice tools are contained in one volume that includes:
- The Supreme Court Civil Rules and Supreme Court Family Rules, fully annotated with thousands of authors' personally selected cases (both reported and unreported)
- Court of Appeal Rules, Supreme Court Act and Court of Appeal Act also fully annotated with thousands of authors' personally selected cases (both reported and unreported)
- Also includes:
- Practice Directions/Directives and Notices to the Profession
- An in-depth procedural guide explaining the procedures associated with the Civil Rules
- Two way tables of concordance of the old and new Civil Rules and Family Rules
- A Short History of Rule-Making for Courts by Ken McEwan, Q.C.
- An introduction to the Family Rules by Dinyar Marzban, Q.C.
- Annotated costs appendices
- Regulations regarding Notices to Mediate
Forms and Small Claims Volume – Print
The Forms and Small Claims Volume contains:
- Forms that relate to Supreme Court Civil Rules, Supreme Court Family Rules Court of Appeal Rules, and Notice to Mediate Regulations
- Small Claims Act, Small Claims Rules, and Practice Directions
- The full text of 24 key statutes
The ProView eBook version is available through your web browser, or can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or smartphone. See all available titles store.thomsonreuters.ca/ebook
The CD-ROM provides easy access to the fillable forms.
Customers on standing order subscription are entitled to receive FREE regular email updates containing major legislative amendments and other pertinent information, upon request.
New in this edition
British Columbia Current to B.C. Reg. 287/2018 (December 31, 2018); Federal English Regulations Gazette Vol. 153:9 (May 1, 2019).
The B.C. Supreme Court Civil Rules are current to BC Reg. 104/2019 and the BC Supreme Court Family Rules are current to BC Reg. 105/2019.
Supreme Court Administrative Notices and Practice Directions have been added/updated:
- Administrative Notice: AN - 16 Administrative Notice Vexatious Litigants Request for Leave to File Proofs or Documents (Effective Date: August 15, 2018)
- Administrative Notice: AN - 17 Administrative Notice Registry Vetting of Orders (Effective Date: November 5, 2018)
- Practice Direction PD - 11: Practice Direction Gowning Policy for Counsel (Effective Date: October 26, 2018)
- Practice Direction PD - 18: Practice Direction Request to appear before a Specific Judge Master or Registrar (December 6, 2018)
- Practice Direction PD-55 - Canadian Judicial Protocol for the Management of Multi-jurisdictional Class Actions and the Provision of Class Action Notice (January 7, 2019)
Court of Appeal Practice Directives have been updated or added:
- British Columbia Court of Appeal Practice Directive (Civil & Criminal) - Submission of Electronic Factums and Statements (Effective July 2, 2019)
- British Columbia Court of Appeal REPEALED Practice Directive: Joint Appeal Books and Transcript Extracts (Civil Practice Directive, 19 September 2011). The practice of filing joint books is familiar to litigants and is set out in the Court of Appeal Rules. It is repealed immediately. (April 30, 2019)
- British Columbia Court of Appeal Practice Directive (Civil & Criminal): Frequently Cititish Columbia Court of Appeal Practice Directive (Civil) Publication Bans and Sealing O2019)
Case Law and Annotations have been updated with new ones being added and older ones either been updated or removed.
The Procedural Guide has been updated.
Court of Appeal Act, s. 6 - Highwood Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses v. Wall, 2018 SCC 26
Court of Appeal Act, s. 14 – Simon v. Canada (Attorney General), 2018 BCCA 461; Almasri v. Saska, 2018 BCCA 157
Civil Rule 3-8 - Andrews v. Clay, 2018 BCCA 50
Civil Rule 7-6 - Tran v. Abbott, 2018 BCCA 365
Civil Rule 9-5 - Greengren Holdings Ltd.v. British Columbia (Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations), 2018 BCCA 214
Civil Rule 9-1 - Sampley v. Burns, 2018 BCCA 178; Cottrill v. Utopia Day Spas and Salons Ltd., 2019 BCCA 26
Civil Rule 9-6 - Oh v. Coquitlam (City), 2018 BCCA 129
Civil Rule 10-1/ Civil Rule 10-4 - Kepis & Pobe Financial Group Inc. v. Timis Corporation, 2018 BCCA 420
Civil Rule 12-5 - Kane v. Proffitt, 2019 BCCA 106; Insurance Corporation of British Columbia v. Mehat, 2018 BCCA 242
Civil Rule 14-1 - Wonson (Bristol) Development Ltd. v. Sahba, 2018 BCCA 260; Bolin v. Lylick, 2018 BCCA 127; J.P. v. British Columbia (Children and Family Development), 2018 BCCA 325
Civil Rule 22-1 - H.M.B. Holdings Limited v. Replay Resorts Inc., 2018 BCCA 263
Civil Rule 22-7 - Sun Wave Forest Products Ltd. v. Xu, 2018 BCCA 63