CONDUCT TERMINATIONS OF UNIONIZED EMPLOYEES WITH COURAGE AND CONFIDENCE. Canadian Labour Reporter Special Report: Dismissals in the Unionized Workplace, Third Edition
addresses the thorny problem of how to manage employee terminations in a unionized environment. Readers will learn what arbitrators will demand as proof of just cause for termination, what amounts to suitable discipline and in what circumstances arbitrators will overturn termination decisions or vary disciplinary sanctions. This book includes practical advice on conducting a workplace investigation and preparing for a hearing, what mistakes can be fatal to your case and when to recognize that a dismissal cannot be defended at arbitration – along with three extremely valuable and practical checklists on conducting investigations, employee discipline and preparing for arbitration hearings.
Included within this new edition are discussions of recent developments in the following areas:
- Conducting social media and Internet audits.
- Employee surveillance and the admissibility of surveillance evidence.
- Production of company documents including investigation reports.
- Relying on after acquired evidence.
- Full text of two key recent arbitration decisions – U.F.C.W., Local 175/663 v. Zehrs Market Inc. (relating to employee theft) and Lakeridge Health Corp. v. O.P.S.E.U. (dealing with falsified overtime claims and post-termination conduct).