The Annotated Ontario Highway Traffic Act is the essential guide to all Highway Traffic Act cases, legislation and regulation in Ontario
The 2018 Annotated Ontario Highway Traffic Act is the essential guide to all Highway Traffic Act cases, legislation and regulation in Ontario.
New in this edition
This new edition contains updates to the Highway Traffic Act, related legislation, and all major regulatory activity. In addition, it covers key Highway Traffic Act cases.
- Updated Case Law
- R. v. Wadood. Ability of an officer to amend a certificate of offence after giving the offence notice to the motorist, but before filing in court.
- R. v. Sciascia. Ability to hold a Provincial Offences Act trial and a Criminal Code Act trial together arising out of same facts.
- Lloyd v. Bush and House v. Baird. Explaining the law of winter maintenance.
- R. v. Dore. No need for an officer to “lock in” speed of subject vehicle in a speeding case.
- R. v. Ayub-Bawar. Duties of a motorist when confronted with an emergency vehicle.
- R. v. Gopher. Putting wrong licence number into parking meter not due diligence.
- Knabe v. Durham (Regional Municipality). The qualifications of the investigating officer not an essential element of speeding offence.
- R. v. Rasty. An electronic devices charge is a lesser included offence of an electronic communications device charge.
- York (Regional Municipality) v. McGuigan. Manuals for speed measuring devices are not subject to Stinchcombe.
- Mississauga (City) v. Atis. A request for other tickets issued on the same day and discipline and human resource records were refused on a speeding charge.
- R. v. Charles. Dealing with a defendant who advances that he was not served with notice of licence suspension.
Since the last edition, the Highway Traffic Act and other statutes have been amended by the following:
- Safer School Zones Act, 2017, S.O. 2017, c. 9
- Cannabis, Smoke-Free Ontario and Road Safety Statute Law Amendment Act, 2017, S.O. 2017, c. 26, Sched. 1, s. 31, Sched. 4
- Stronger, Fairer Ontario Act (Budget Measures), 2017, S.O. 2017, c. 34, Sched. 19, s. 22, Sched. 35, s. 27
- Safer Ontario Act, 2018, S.O. 2018, c. 3, Sched. 5, s. 26
The following are new regulations introduced with this edition:
- Pilot Project - Low-Speed Vehicles, O. Reg. 215/17
Important amendments to existing regulations include the following:
- Community Safety Zones, O. Reg. 510/99 – Amended by O. Reg. 429/17
- Critical Defects of Commercial Motor Vehicles, O. Reg. 512/97 – Amended by O. Regs. 372/17 and 573/17
- Designation of Bus By-Pass Shoulders on King’s Highway, O. Reg. 618/05 – Amended by O. Reg. 17/18
- Display Screens and Hand-Held Devices, O. Reg. 366/09 – Amended by O. Reg. 475/17
- Drivers' Licenses, O. Reg. 340/94 – Amended by O. Regs. 168/17 and 476/17
- Equipment, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 587 – Amended by O. Regs. 374/17 and 376/17
- General Regulation (made under the Highway Traffic Act), R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596 – Amended by O. Reg. 375/17
- High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes, O. Reg. 620/05 – Amended by O. Reg. 463/17
- Licences for Driving Instructors and Driving Schools, O. Reg. 473/07 – Amended by O. Reg. 339/17
- Motor Vehicles, O. Reg. 361/98 – Amended by O. Reg. 356/17
- Operation of Off-Road Vehicles on Highways, O. Reg. 316/03 – Amended by O. Reg. 478/17
- Over-Dimensional Farm Vehicles, RRO 1990, Reg. 603 – Amended by O. Reg. 477/17
- Parking, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 604 – Amended by O. Regs. 391/17 and 419/17
- Red Light Camera System Evidence, O. Reg. 277/99 – Amended by O. Reg. 373/17
- Restricted Use of King’s Highway, RRO 1990, Reg 609 – Amended by O. Reg. 484/17
- Signs, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615 – Amended by O. Reg. 483/17
- Special Permits, O. Reg. 381/98 – Amended by O. Reg. 492/17
- Speed Limits, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 619 – Amended by O. Regs. 382/17; 393/17; 418/17 and 439/17
- Standards to Determine Allowable Gross Vehicle Weight for Bridges, O. Reg. 103/97 – Amended by O. Reg. 183/17
- Stop Signs at Intersections, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 623 – Amended by O. Reg. 276/17
- Stop Signs in Territory without Municipal Organization, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 624 – Amended by O. Reg. 277/17
- Stopping of Vehicles on Parts of the King's Highway, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 622 – Amended by O. Reg. 392/17
- Use of Controlled-Access Highways by Pedestrians, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 627 – Amended by O. Reg. 185/17
- Vehicle Permits, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628 – Amended by O. Reg. 162/17
- Vehicle Weights and Dimensions - For Safe, Productive and Infrastructure-Friendly Vehicles, O. Reg. 413/05 – Amended by O. Reg. 368/17
- Vehicles on Controlled-Access Highways, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 630 – Amended by O. Reg. 186/17
ProView eBook version is available through your web browser, or can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or smartphone. See all available titles at store.thomsonreuters.ca/ebook