Watson & McGowan's Ontario Civil Practice is an essential reference on the rules of civil procedure for Ontario civil litigators.
Founding Authors: Garry D. Watson, Q.C. and Michael McGowan
An essential reference on the rules of civil procedure for Ontario civil litigators, Watson & McGowan's Ontario Civil Practice 2020 features expert commentary on how the rules of civil procedure are interpreted and applied in specific situations. This reference set contains:
- The indispensable Annual Survey of Recent Developments in Civil Litigation – an essential guide to the key case law developments, reform initiatives, and rule amendments. It includes commentary on recent SCC jurisprudence that has led to a state of confusion over the law dealing with relitigation of issues already determined in another adjudicative proceeding.
- Thousands of case annotations
- All Ontario court forms as Word documents on CD-ROM
- Full text of the Rules of Civil Procedure, the Courts of Justice Act and related legislation, practice directions, Case Management Rules, and annotations in a bound hardcover
- Civil Court forms and other materials in a bound softcover
New and Updated in this Edition
- Recent amendments to the Rules of Civil Procedure (O. Reg. 536/18 and O. Reg. 537/18); to the Family Law Rules (O. Reg. 418/18 and O. Reg. 535/18); and to Court of Justice Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.C.43 (S.O. 2017, c. 24 and S.O. 2018, c.17 Sched. 10).
- Updated forms for the Rules of Civil Procedure, and the Family Law Rules.
- New Annual Survey of Recent Developments in Civil Procedure
- All commentary, case law, the Procedural Charts and rule highlights have been updated to take into account legislative amendments, changes and additions to Practice Directions, Guidelines and Practice Advisories and recent case law.
- The Procedural Charts, Introduction to the Courts of Justice Act, Introduction the Class Proceedings Act, Introduction to Ontario Evidence Act and Introduction to the Practice Directions, Guides and Notices have been updated.
- Over 300 new case digests of decisions made since the last edition. Case Law Developments include:
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 3.02 - Lee v. Richcraft Homes Ltd., 2019 ONCA 7, 2019 CarswellOnt 267 (C.A.)
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 5.04 - Simmonds v. G&G Pool Services, 2018 ONCA 772, 2018 CarswellOnt 16314 (C.A.)
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 24.01 – Ticchiarelli v. Ticchiarelli, 2017 ONCA 1 (C.A.)
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 25.06 – Healthy Lifestyle Medical Group Inc. v. Chand Morningside Plaza Inc., 2019 ONCA 6, 2019 CarswellOnt 273 (C.A.)
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 49.09 - Paulus v. Fleury, 2018 ONCA 1072, 2018 CarswellOnt 21613 (C.A.)
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 57.01 - Carroll (Litigation Guardian of) v. McEwen, 2018 ONCA 902, 143 O.R. (3d) 641 (C.A.)
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 59.03 - Schnarr v. Blue Mountain Resorts Limited, 2018 ONCA 668 (C.A.) -
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 60.12 – Van Aert v. Sweda Farms Ltd. (Best Choice Eggs), 2018 ONCA 831, 2018 CarswellOnt 17168 (C.A.)
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 61.06 –Groia & Company ProfessionalCorporation v. Cardillo, 2019 ONCA 165, 2019 CarswellOnt 3519 (C.A.)
- Rules of Civil Procedure, r. 62.01 - Carey-Patel v. Carey, 2019 ONCA 144, 2019 CarswellOnt 2493 (C.A.)
Special Offer for Standing Order Subscribers
As a standing order subscriber to Watson & McGowan's Ontario Civil Practice you'll be entitled to receive the Practice Advisor, a biweekly email designed to keep you up to date on legislative and case law changes, at no extra charge, upon request.
The ProView eBook version is available through your web browser, or can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or smartphone. See all available titles at store.thomsonreuters.ca/ebook