This compilation provides easy, portable access to valuable content from the respected practice manuals Canadian Criminal Code Offences and Criminal Law Evidence, Practice and Procedure used by Crown counsel, defence counsel, judges and police. The selected chapters from these manuals bring together essential information on commonly charged offences designed to assist the beginning practitioner. The procedural aspect of this book is designed to provide step-by-step guidance to evidentiary, procedural and practice topics that arise in criminal law practice.
New in this edition
- R. c. Collin, 2019 CarswellQue 10872, 2019 CarswellQue 10873, 50 M.V.R. (7th) 1, 383 C.C.C. (3d) 397, 2019 CSC 64, 2019 SCC 64 (S.C.C.) — Assault and Unlawfully Causing Bodily Harm - Supreme Court of Canada discusses the establishment of criminal responsibility for causing death or bodily harm
- R. v. Friesen, 2020 SCC 9, 2020 CarswellMan 123 (S.C.C.) - Sexual Abuse of Young and Vulnerable Persons — The Supreme Court of Canada discusses the maximum penalties for sexual offences against children
- R. v. Glendinning, 2019 CarswellBC 3053, 2019 BCCA 365 (B.C.C.A.) — Arrest and Detention — Court considers the reasonableness of the officer's belief in the suspect's guilt
- R. v. Thompson, 2020 CarswellOnt 5461, 2020 ONCA 264 (Ont. C.A.) — Arrest and Detention — Case looks at officers' ability to detain
- R. v. P.N., 2019 CarswellOnt 7500, 2019 ONSC 2858 (Ont. S.C.J.) - Bail Procedure (Judicial Interim Release) — Case considers the cross-examination of sureties.
- R. v. Russell-Connolly, Gil and Casseus, 2019 CarswellOnt 7448, 2019 ONSC 2994 (Ont. S.C.J.) - Bail Procedure (Judicial Interim Release) — Review of the cross-examination of sureties that turned into a discovery
- R. v. Hernandez-Lopez, 2020 CarswellBC 49, 2020 BCCA 12 (B.C. C.A.) - Children and Vulnerable Witnesses — The court considers the assessment of the evidence of child witnesses
- R. v. Tessier, 2020 CarswellAlta 1432, 2020 ABCA 289 (Alta. C.A.) — Confessions —The case reviews the right of a defendant to remain silent
- R. v. Tahmasebi, 2020 CarswellOnt 1011, 61 C.R. (7th) 81, 59 M.V.R. (7th) 1, 383 C.C.C. (3d) 501, 2020 ONCA 47 (Ont. C.A.) — Impaired Operation of a Conveyance — The court considers what triggers a constitutional right to get further legal advice
- R. v. Angel, 2019 BCCA 449, 2019 CarswellBC 3636 (B.C. C.A.) — Sexual Abuse of Young and Vulnerable Persons — This case considers the offence of luring
- R. v. Wilson, 2019 ONSC 3893, 2019 CarswellOnt 10134 (Ont. S.C.J.) - Sexual Abuse of Young and Vulnerable Persons — The court considers what arrangements to abuse could secure a conviction
- R. v. Schafer, 2020 CarswellYukon 6, 384 C.C.C. (3d) 163, 2020 YKCA 3 (Y.T. C.A.) — Peace Bonds — A trial judge hearing an application for a peace bond may admit and consider hearsay evidence that he or she finds credible and trustworthy
- R. v. Eyre, 2019 BCCA 333, 2019 CarswellBC 2889 (B.C. C.A.) — Weapons and Firearms: Definitions and Background — British Columbia's Court of Appeal considers the possession of a "replica firearm"
- R. v. A.S., 2020 CarswellOnt 4154, 2020 ONCA 229 (Ont. C.A.) — Video, Audio and Photographic Evidence — In this case, the court finds that what suffices for authentication of an exhibit depends upon the inferences that the proponent asks the trier of fact to draw from the exhibit.