The 2019 Annotated Ontario Highway Traffic Act (Print + ProView)
Table of contents
Table of content not available at this time
Index not available at this time
Release notes not available at this time
Details and specs
The 2019 Annotated Ontario Highway Traffic Act is the essential guide to all Highway Traffic Act cases, legislation, and regulation in Ontario.
New in this edition
This new edition contains updates to the Highway Traffic Act, related legislation, and all major regulatory activity.
Updated Case Law
- Canadian Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform v. Grande Prairie (City) – An advertisement on a city bus violated s. 2(b) of the Charter upon acknowledgment to be deliberately provocative.
- Chiocchio v. Hamilton (City) – A municipality’s duty to repair does not extend to remedying conditions that pose a risk of harm only because of negligent driving.
- Kapoor v. Kuzmanovski – It is not permitted to challenge prospective jurors on the basis that they are insured under a policy of motor vehicle liability insurance or are paying for same.
- Orlov v. Halifax Regional Municipality (Halifax Transit) – Nothing about the plaintiff’s appearance or movements would reasonably put the bus driver on notice that he should proceed with caution or wait until the passenger was seated.
- R. v. Tomkowicz – Changing lanes by driving across a solid white line into an HOV lane was held to be improper.
Since the last edition, the Highway Traffic Act and other statutes have been amended by the following:
- Cannabis Control Act, 2017, S.O. 2018, c. 12, Sched. 1
- Amendments to the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017, and the Highway Traffic Act, S.O. 2018, c. 12, Sched. 4
- Plan for Care and Community Act, 2018, S.O. 2018, c. 8, Sched. 4
- Restoring Trust, Transparency and Accountability Act, 2018, S.O. 2018, c. 17, Sched. 6
- Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017, S.O. 2017, c. 26, Sched. 3
New regulations introduced with this edition include the following:
- O. Reg. 331/18, Definition of Approved Screening Equipment
- O. Reg. 215/18, Over-Dimensional Vehicle Escorts
- O. Reg. 479/18, References to Criminal Code
Important amendments to existing regulations include the following:
- Administrative Penalties, O. Reg. 273/07 - Amended by O. Reg. 337/18
- Demerit Point System, O. Reg. 339/94 – Amended by O. Reg. 338/18
- Drivers' Licences, O. Reg. 340/94 – Amended by O. Regs. 335/18 and 410/18
- Gross Weight on Bridges, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 598 – Amended by O. Regs. 2/19, 21/19, and 23/19
- High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes, O. Reg. 620/05 – Amended by O. Reg. 455/18
- Licences for Driving Instructors and Driving Schools, O. Reg. 473/07 – Amended by O. Reg. 411/18
- Motor Vehicle Inspection Stations, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 601 – Amended by O. Reg. 209/18
- Parking, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 604 – Amended by O. Reg. 428/18
- Restricted Use of Left Lanes by Commercial Motor Vehicles, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 608 – Amended by O. Reg. 26/19
- Safety Helmets, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610 – Amended by O. Reg. 446/18
- Safety Inspections, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 611 – Amended by O. Reg. 210/18
- Speed Limits, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 619 – Amended by O. Regs. 419/18, 437/18, 459/18, 460/18, and 13/19
The ProView eBook version is available through your web browser, or can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or smartphone. See all available titles at store.thomsonreuters.ca
- Practice Area:
- Criminal Law and Procedure
- Publication Date:
- Hardcover Specifications
- Service #:
- Sub #:
- Shelf Space:
- Anticip Unkeep Cost:
- eBook Specifications