The Journalists Legal Guide, 6th Edition
Details and specs
This user-friendly guide provides up to date and succinct discussions of the legal issues in reporting and uncovering the news
Whether you’re a working journalist, editor, blogger, producer or researcher, this essential guide to the law affecting the news media can help you understand your legal rights and limits.
With a clear view of the intersection between law and journalism, you can not only avoid or mitigate potentially expensive legal problems, you can also eliminate the uncertainty that waters down or kills an important story. Knowing your rights can boost the confidence and quality of your storytelling.
For almost three decades, journalists, editors and students have turned to The Journalist’s Legal Guide for fast answers and crisp, plain language guidance on media law to help them craft better stories.
This detailed and incisive handbook covers every area of law affecting the news media, including Charter of Rights challenges, defamation, Internet law, confidentiality of sources, court orders and bans, police powers, access to information, and ethics and the law. Noted author, journalist and consultant Michael G. Crawford penetrates the legalese to reveal the bottom lines of the latest cases and legislation affecting your rights and responsibilities.
New in this edition
• Recent landmark Supreme Court of Canada decisions affecting the news media
• Expanded chapters on issues involving the Internet, social media and digital reportage
• New developments in invasion of privacy, cyber bullying and publishing intimate images
• Latest workplace issues affecting employee-journalists and freelancers
• Extensive updates to every chapter, including new case law and legislation
Dozens of important decisions have affected the scope of a reporter’s rights in the seven years since the last edition of The Journalist’s Legal Guide. Discover how recent landmark cases affect your ability to express opinion; challenge infringements on your ability to gather and disseminate news; protect your sources, your notes and your confidential knowledge; and much more.
Find it fast
The author has completely reorganized The Journalist’s Legal Guide, 6th Edition to get you faster access to the information you need.
- What’s the cardinal test for “fair comment?”
- What are your rights and responsibilities regarding police searches – either of your own files or during coverage of a police search?
- Can you question an application made to court to exclude the public or ban publication?
Highlighted case examples, checklists, quick reference aids, and other user-friendly features make this work convenient to use.
An essential resource for working journalists and more
The Journalist’s Legal Guide, 6th Edition is a thorough one-stop reference on media
• Print, broadcast and web journalists
• Journalism students
• Media lawyers
• Public relations firms
- Practice Area:
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility,Military Law
- Publication Date:
- Hardcover Specifications
- Service #:
- Sub #:
- Shelf Space:
- Anticip Unkeep Cost:
- eBook Specifications