The Ontario Annual Practice contains the latest developments in legislation, jurisprudence, and authoritative author analysis to guide you on the rules of civil procedure, the rules of court, and statutory tribunals.
1. Main Volume – Print
The Rules of Civil Procedure annotated with references to the most relevant case law and a synopsis of each rule, as well as the authors' expert commentary and advocacy notes. Annotated versions of related legislation including:
- Courts of Justice Act
- Class Proceedings Act, 1992 and portions of the Law Society Act relevant to Class Actions
- Judicial Review Procedure Act
- Statutory Powers Procedure Act
- Evidence Act
- Limitations Act, 2002
- Family Law Rules – with case annotations
- Small Claims Court Rules – with case annotations
- Procedural Guide
- An overview of recent developments to keep you current
- Highlighted Practice Directions, Notices to the Profession, and Regulations
- Limitations Act Questionnaire
- Frequently called numbers
2. Forms and Table of Cases Volume – Print
This volume provides you with a Table of Cases and easy access to the essential forms related to various pieces of legislation, including:
- Statutory Powers Procedure Act
- Rules of Civil Procedure
- Family Law Rules
- Rules of the Small Claims Court
New in the 2021-2022 edition:
Legislation current to Ontario Gazette Vol. 154:06 (February 6, 2021).
- Rules of Civil Procedure updated to O. Reg. 248/21
- Family Law Rules updated to O. Reg. 152/21
- Small Claims Court updated to O. Reg. 249/21
- Courts of Justice Act updated to 2020, c. 25, Sched. 1
- Judicial Review Procedure Act updated to S.O. 2020, c. 11, Sched. 10
- Class Proceedings Act updated to S.O. 2020, c. 11, Sched. 4
- Limitations Act, 2002, updated to S.O. 2020, c. 11, Sched. 16
- Legal Aid Services Act, 2020 updated to S.O. c. 36, Sched. 7
New and Updated Practice Directions for the Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- Extensive synopses of all rules and recent amendments
- Overview of recent developments that discusses all of the new amendments to the rules, related legislation and Practice Directions
Case annotations include:
- 2484234 Ontario Inc. v. Hanley Park Developments Inc. (2020), 150 O.R. (3d) 481, additional reasons 2020 ONCA 293 - Pleading requirements for rectification
- Paulpillai Estate v. Yusuf, 2020 ONCA 655 (C.A.) - Review of principles that determine whether an order is interlocutory or final.
- Allstate Insurance Company v. Her Majesty the Queen 2020 ONSC 830 (S.C.J.) - Standard of review on appeal from arbitrator
- Bruno v. Dacosta, 2020 ONCA 602 (C.A.) - Sufficiency of trial reasons
- 1704604 Ontario Ltd. v. Pointes Protection Association (2020), 449 D.L.R. (4th) 1 (S.C.C.) - Principles of the proper interpretation and application of Courts of Justice Act s. 137.1.
- Wright v. Horizons ETFS Management (Canada) Inc. (2020), 448 D.L.R. (4th) 328, (C.A) - Class Proceedings Act test to be met in determining whether the pleadings disclose a cause of action
- R.G. v. The Hospital for Sick Children (2020), 448 D.L.R. (4th) 114 (C.A.) - Class Proceedings Act and limitation periods
- Glegg v. Glass, 2020 ONCA 833 (C.A.) - Letters of request and solicitor-client privilege and confidentiality.
- Krukowski v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada (2020), 5 C.C.L.I. (6th) 187 (C.A.) - Court approval of settlements
- Duggan v. Durham Region Non-Profit Housing Corporation, 2020 ONCA 788 (C.A.) - Bifurcation of jury and non-jury trials.
- Birdseye Security Inc. v. Milosevic, 2020 ONCA 355 (C.A.) - Stay of proceedings
- British Columbia (Attorney General) v. Provincial Court Judges' Association of British Columbia (2020), 448 D.L.R. (4th) 1 (S.C.C.) - Document disclosure and public interest immunity.
- Wiseau Studio, LLC v. Harper, 2021 ONCA 31 (C.A.) - Security for trial judgment on appeal
About Thomson Reuters ProView
ProView is the way to read Thomson Reuters eBooks and eLooseleafs, published primarily for legal, accounting, human resources, and tax professions. The Thomson Reuters ProView web-based application is accessed via your browser. With the new ProView web app, offline capability is now available from your browser. The web application has a responsive design and is compatible with desktop, laptop and mobile devices.