This must-have guide provides practical commentary and analysis on the complex law of options affecting land. Its comprehensive coverage includes options to buy, options in wills, rights of pre-emption, transfer of options, options in leases and remedies for breach of an option agreement. It also covers options and tax including the impact of stamp duty land tax.
New to this edition
The Perpetuities and Accumulations Act 2009
Coverage of the raft of cases concerning the validity of option notices in various circumstances and raising numerous issues since the last edition, e.g.:
- Prudential v Exel  EWHC 1350 (Ch)
- Truegold v Questrock  EWHC 966 (Ch) (which also deals with issues of priority)
- AWD Chase De Vere Wealth Management Ltd v Melville Street Properties Ltd  CSOH 150
- Standard Life v W&J Linney  EWHC 480 (Ch)
- MW Trustees v Tellular Corporation  EWHC 104 (Ch)
- Avocet Industrial Estates LLP v Merol Ltd  EWHC 3422 (Ch)
- Baker Tilly Management Limited v Computer Associates UK Limited  EWHC 3911 (Ch)
- PCE Investors Limited v Cancer Research UK  EWHC 884 (Ch)
- Marks and Spencer plc v BNP Paribas Securities Services  EWHC 1279 (Ch)
- Siemens Hearing Instruments Ltd v Friends Life Ltd  EWHC (Ch).
- Croatia v Serbia  EWHC 1559 (Ch) – whether a pre-2002 Act right of pre-emption can be protected by a restriction on the register of title.
- Norwich Union v Linpac  EWHC 1602 (Ch) &  EWCA Civ 395 – effect of reassignment of personal option to original grantee.
- Multi-Link v North Lanarkshire  UKSC 47 – price payable on exercise of option, whether including development/hope value. - Chantry Estates v Anderson  EWCA Civ 316 – whether terms to be implied into option agreement.
- Service of option notices: Michael Gerson (Leasing) Limited v Greatsunny Limited , 17th June.
- Vacant possession in relation to the exercise of break options: Ibrend v NYK  EWCA Civ 683.
- Nature of an option and effect of escheat (and vesting orders): UBS v Crown Estate  EWHC (Ch).
- Options and rights of pre-emption and perpetuity: 1. Souglides v Tweedie  EWCA Civ 1546; 2. Taylor v Couch  EWHC 1213 (Ch); 3. Cosmichrome Ltd v Southampton CC  EWHC 1378 (Ch).
- Assignability of option: Gemini Press v Parson , 24th April.
- Service of option notices, whether stipulations mandatory and precluding alternative methods of service
- Non-registration of option – whether constructive trust available: Groveholt Limited v Hughes  EWHC 3351 (Ch).
- Ridgewood Properties Valero Energy  EWHC 98 (Ch): breach of option; repudiation; whether enforcement of covenants possible under Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995.
- Testamentary option, valuation: Clark v Clark  EWHC 2746 (Ch).
- Redlawn Land v Cowley  EWHC 766 (Ch) – option valuation date. - Simmers v Innes  UKHL 24 – procedure whether basis of valuation disputed.