How to Understand Statutes and Regulations, 2nd Edition
Details and specs
This book introduces the reader to bills, Acts, and Regulations, and describes how legislation works and is interpreted by the courts.
How to Understand Statutes and Regulations, Second Edition discusses the necessary detail on how Acts come into force, the various types of Acts, and citation practices.
Includes the constituent elements of Acts short and long title, table of contents, preamble, provisions, statement of purpose, headings, parts, sections, punctuation, marginal notes, and more. These are further explained along with how they contribute to the meaning and interpretation of Acts.
E.A. Driedgers Modern Principle approach to statutory interpretation is explored in detail along with the rules and legal maxims which apply in the examination of the text, context, purpose, and consequences of Acts.
Additional features of this edition include
- The role of the common law, the Constitution, the Charter, international law, and interpretation of Acts in statutory construction the rules which apply to specific types of enactments such as quasi-constitutional legislation
- Crown immunity is reviewed
- Brief discussions on the special rules applying to Aboriginal treaties/legislation
- The courts role in sorting out gaps, mistakes, overlap, and drafting errors
- The book includes an analysis of regulations specifically and statutory instruments generally
- A detailed glossary completes the work
- Practice Area:
- Civil procedure
- Publication Date:
- Hardcover Specifications
- Service #:
- Sub #:
- Shelf Space:
- Anticip Unkeep Cost:
- eBook Specifications