This is a ground breaking, hands-on guide to conducting investigations of any kind, including regulatory, compliance, workplace, insurance, human rights, harassment, health and safety, police and military oversight and ombudsman investigations.
Of interest to anyone involved in any field of investigation, and anyone involved in evaluating investigations, this book sets out the eight principles that underlie effective and credible investigations, discusses common problems that may arise and how to avoid them.
You'll learn proven approaches to planning and executing systemic investigations and be provided a benchmark to assess the quality of investigations done by others.
Full of real life examples and practical advice, topics include:
- The principles of excellent investigation
- Investigative challenges
- How to decide what to investigate
- Planning an investigation
- Witnesses and interviewing
- Documentary and physical evidence
- Assessing evidence
- Report writing
- Investigations and the media
- Systemic investigations
- Harassment investigations
- Investigating the police