A fully annotated portable reference to the Ontario Labour Relations Act, as well as up-to-date consolidations of Regulations under the Act
The 2019 Annotated Ontario Labour Relations Act is your key to understanding the ever-changing Labour Relations regime in Ontario. A quick and portable reference tool, this publication reproduces a fully annotated version of the Labour Relations Act, as well as up-to-date consolidations of Regulations under the Act, and the Ontario Labour Relations Board's current Rules of Procedure, Forms and Information Bulletins.
The 2019 edition incorporates the recent amendments from Bill 148, Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017.
These changes include:
- S.6.1, which allows a trade union to apply to the OLRB for an order directing the employer to provide a list of employees with a proposed bargaining unit, where the union can demonstrate a minimum of 20% support.
- S.15.1, which gives the Board the jurisdiction to review the structure of bargaining units, and to make orders with respect to the structure of bargaining units.
- S.15.2, which provides for an alternate certification process for specified industries. Trade unions applying for bargaining rights in the building services industry, the home care and community services industry, and the temporary help agency industry, may elect to apply under s.15.2 – certification without a vote.
- S.43.1, the settlement of first contracts by mediation-arbitration.
- S.12.1 and s.80 – a prohibition restricting employers’ ability to discharge employees, without just cause, following a certification or during a lawful strike or lock-out.
- The OLRB’s interim powers are expanded.
The 2019 Annotated Ontario Labour Relations Act also includes updated case law, including the emerging and developing case law under:
- S.6.1 – application for list of employees
- S.43.1 – first contract arbitration by mediation-arbitration
- S.98 – OLRB interim powers