Joint winner of the Walter Owen Book Prize, 2009
This seminal treatise addresses the regulatory policies, key institutions, specialized and general-purpose payment systems and the relevant decisions of the courts of Canada.
It includes chapters on:
- The law of payment including the permissible forms of payment, the principles of the law of payment, currency of payment, appropriation of payments, compelling payment, cost of late payment, penalties and proof of payment
- The law of money, including consideration of the many forms of value that qualify as "money", the legal characteristics of money, fungibility and the exceptions; tracing at common law, equity and under statute; foreign exchange controls, economic sanctions, counterfeit money and money laundering
- The business of banking, constitutional law issues surrounding banking activities, provincial control of banks' activities, meaning of "bank" in various contexts; "banking" by non-banks
- The banker/customer relationship, formation and termination, terms, online banking, duties and standards of care and confidentiality, mandatory statutory disclosures, deposits, administration of accounts, special fiduciary obligations, banks' unique rights and remedies
- Payment under options and derivatives contracts, the rules and operations of Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation, risk assessment in derivatives markets
The looseleaf format of this treatise ensures the information remains current as banking law evolves.
Get FREE eBook access with your looseleaf subscription(s)
This title has become a part of Thomson Reuters ProView™, which means you'll have eBook access to all the content as part of your looseleaf print subscription.
About Thomson Reuters ProView™
Not just any eReader, Thomson Reuters ProView is a free, professional-grade platform that gives you the freedom to work however, whenever, and wherever you want, with access to your Thomson Reuters eBooks online and offline.
With our ProView eBooks, you can:
- Access your eBook content through your choice of iPad, Android tablet, desktop app (Windows and Mac), or web login*
- Provide eBook access for an unlimited number of users at the same location, with your looseleaf subscription(s)
- Enjoy automatically integrated product updates, with your looseleaf subscription(s)
- Access your entire ProView library with one username and password
- Create a PDF that you can save, print, add your notes, and share
- Link out to full-text cases in WestlawNext® Canada or in Taxnet Pro® (available with subscriptions to WestlawNext Canada or Taxnet Pro)
- Register up to four different devices to your ProView account to access your library
- Sync all your notes, highlights and bookmarks, across all devices you registered with your ProView account
- Automatically transfer all of your notes, highlights and bookmarks, to updated editions and contents
For the entire range of titles offered as Thomson Reuters ProView eBooks, or for more information on Thomson Reuters ProView:
*Certain features and functionalities may not be available to ProView users accessing looseleaf eBooks in an IP authentication environment.
iPad and Mac are trademarks of Apple Inc. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corp.