This practical text discusses in non-legal language the legal principles employers and human resource professionals need to know when ending an employment relationship. It provides an overview of the law and helpful advice when planning a termination in Ontario. It also helps you avoid commonly made termination mistakes, which often cause unexpected legal liability.
A Practical Guide to the Law of Termination in Ontario, Second Edition
covers important topics such as:
- Notice of termination and severance pay under the Employment Standards Act, 2000
- Just cause terminations
- Disabled employees and the Human Rights Code
- The termination meeting
- Reasonable notice at common law
- Elements of the severance package
- Employment contracts
- Litigating wrongful dismissal claims – and much more!
Practical features include:
- Sample letters and agreements – to help employers, human resource professionals, and in-house counsel create the documents they need
- Overview of the litigation procedure – with case examples to help employers, human resource professionals, and in-house counsel draft pleadings and prepare for mediation, examinations for discovery and trial